The 127-horsepower DX170LC-5 crawler excavator is a new size that fits between the DX140LC-5 and DX180LC-5. The unit has an operating weight of 38,376 pounds and width of 8 feet 5 inches, which, according to the company, allows the machine to be transported by a Class 7 truck and stay below 80,000 pounds GVW.
The company says the excavator’s size allows for easier transportation, especially for small- to mid-size contractors who perform light excavation projects, such as digging residential basements or commercial building footings. The model is meant to reduce the need to obtain a special transport permit when moving to and from job sites.
Owners should still check local requirements when transporting equipment, as load ratings vary from state to state, so the company advises reviewing federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding weight, width, length, and height of a load before making preparations to transport the machine on public roads, bridges, highways, and Interstates.
Four power modes include Power+, power, standard power, and economy.
- Power+ mode, which is designed to deliver the fastest workgroup speeds for loading trucks, and top digging performance and extra power for digging in hard ground.
- Power mode provides power and performance for tough digging conditions and truck loading tasks.
- Standard power mode balances the excavator’s fuel consumption in everyday digging, grading, and lifting tasks.
- Economy mode reduces fuel consumption for low-demand applications and slows down machine movement for conditions that require extra precision, Doosan says.
Four work modes—digging, breaker, shear, and lifting—allow for efficiency and fuel economy in specific applications. Operators use a dial switch on the right-hand console to set work mode.
A rearview camera is standard, and a sideview camera is available as an option. A in-cab screen displays the camera views, and the screen can be split to show both views at the same time.
A three-year telematics subscription is standard. Doosan dealers can respond to machine warning messages and alerts, troubleshoot machine issues, and then send a field service vehicle to help with repairs and deliver the proper parts.
DX170LC-5 Crawler Excavator Specifications
- Horsepower, net: 127
- Operating weight: 38,376 lb.
- Bucket breakout force: 25,794 lb.-ft.
- Arm breakout force: 18,078 lb.-ft.
- Maximum digging depth: 19 ft. 11 in.
- Maximum digging reach: 28 ft. 10 in.
- Minimum loading height: 8 ft.
- Width: 8 ft. 5 in.
- Bucket capacity (heaped, ISO/SAE): 0.86 cubic yd